Ceramic board is a refractory material used to insulate high temperatures, for instance, as furnace lining. Ceramics and ceramic boards are used widely across many industries in numerous heat treating processes.
The main purpose of ceramic board is to protect components that are sensitive to heat and are vital to daily operations.
Without this material, these components will suffer degradation and will ultimately bring the entire operation to a halt.
As a heat management system, ceramic boards offer several key benefits over rival products, such as refractory bricks:
- Lighter - Ceramic boards are much less dense, therefore lighter, compared to other materials, making them easier to install and handle. This is also one of the main reasons for them being a popular choice for a lot of businesses. They are also 75% lighter than refractory bricks that are also used as furnace lining.
- Heat Capacity - They also have low heat capacity, which is about one-tenth of heat resistant lining and castable lining. This plays a significant role in the startup and shutdown process of the furnace.
- Thermal Conductivity – Thermal conductivity, or how fast a material can conduct, is an important factor. Ceramic board has low thermal conductivity, transferring heat slowly from the hot to the cold side.
- Straightforward Construction – Not only lightweight, ceramic board is easy to use and install.
- Chemically stable - Ceramic boards made of aluminum silicate are considered to be neutral acidic materials that do not react with strong acids and it is not etched by other weak acids.
Those are some of the benefits and advantages of using a ceramic board for furnace lining. As a lightweight and easy to install material with great chemical composition, they are the most common option for this application.
FibreCast is a global provider of high performance refractory products and a trusted provider to many industries.